Wednesday 28 October 2015

Why I Hid My Yoruba Identity From Nollywood- Desmond Elliot

Popular Nollywood actor, producer, director and now, politician, Desmond
Olusola Elliot has revealed what led to his choice of sticking to the name
‘Desmond’ and shrouding his Yoruba heritage in secrecy all this while.
In a recent interview with New Telegraph, the multi-talented actor who
holds a degree in Economics from the Lagos State University, said he
decided to use Desmond, which is his English name, as that was an easier
name for Eastern directors, who sought him out, to pronounce. He said:
“They called me Sola at home, but I realised most producers then were
from the east and I felt that using Sola could make things difficult. I
didn’t really understand why I decided to use Desmond at that point.
“It is not a stage name; it is my English name. That was how Sola Elliot
changed to Desmond Eliot. If anyone calls me Sola now I know the person
knows me from home, but if I hear the Desmond I know it is when I
started acting.”

No comments:

Post a Comment